Ceramsite sand (SuperSand) is also called Ceramiste, Ceramic Foundry Sand, and Nice Foundry Sand. It is an artificial foundry sand that is regarded as the right substitute for chromite sand, ziron sand, and fused silica sand. It is well regarded as a revolutionary new foundry sand. Refractory Engineers, Inc. supplies Ceramsite (SuperSand) to foundries around the USA.
Ceramsite (SuperSand) is a spherically shaped bauxite sand manufactured by melting bauxite in an Electric Arc Furnace followed by a proprietary spraying process. SuperSand beaded foundry sand provides a unique combination of spherical shape grain, chemistry, and physical properties that result in numerous performance advantages compared with other foundry sands. Our SuperSand (Ceramsite) performs very well comparatively to Chromite, and Zircon sands and has replaced these sands in many foundry applications. The grain surface is much smoother than other foundry sands, leading to better castings.
Benefits of SuperSand (Ceramsite) include:
- SuperSand (Ceramsite) offers longer work life and reduction of sand usage
- SuperSand’s spherical shape compared with angular shaped grains allows for easier separation from cast parts and improved collapsibility resulting in lower scrap and casting efficiency
- SAFE – to environment compared with silica (silicosis)
- Lower thermal expansion and Thermal Conductivity. Casting dimensions are more accurate and lower conductivity provides better mold performance
- Requires 40-50% less resin
- Can be used as a single sand
- Offers lower true specific gravity and specific surface area
- Improved durability compared with other foundry sands
Get a hold of Refractory Engineers today for any and all of your foundry sand needs!